Thursday, June 11, 2009

Meet Michellie Jones, Triathlete and Olympic Silver Medalist


Guest blogger: Michellie Jones, Perfect Athlete Ambassador

Who am I? I am the eldest by 5 minutes to my identical twin sister Gabrielle. I have been a racing professional since 1988. Yes, 21 years ago -- I'm not sure if that makes me old or mature. I have so many great memories which could take days and days to recall so instead, here is one of my favorites. After crashing during a race I woke up in the Emergency with the one of the doctors asking, "What do you mean she was riding her bike in a swim suit in the pouring rain?”

Yep, that pretty much describes what being a Triathlete is all about. We swim, bike and run all day, every day, no matter what. An Ironman Tri takes an entire day since it is a 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike race and a 26.2 mile run just to top it off. It would be very amusing to see how many Perfect Pushups you could do after crossing the finish line. Mental note to self: only amusing if you get to watch because usually someone has to hold me up as soon as I cross an Ironman finish line. Crazy probably but there is always something that is crazier somewhere.

Not sure if anyone could have predicted my career as I certainly never thought I would have a couple of World Champ Titles, a Ironman Hawaii Title and an Olympic Silver Medal. Wow, are you sure that was me?

Funny thing is, one of my 20 swim coaches would make us do push ups as punishment if we didn’t show up on time. Or on other occasions he would make us do a set of ten in the middle of workouts. Maybe I should send him a few Perfect Pushups. I am certainly no Gym Rat and I certainly don’t have the strength of a Navy SEAL but that does not mean I don’t use the Perfect Pushup. Let me tell you, I may not be the strongest athlete out there but I use what I have and dream big, really, really big.

My Perfect Workout:

* 2 sets of 10-15 PPUs
* How many can I do in 30seconds? (just to change it up)
* Where: usually at my gym

Cheers!
MJ

Teammates -- Michelle Jones is competing this Sunday in the Escape from Alcatraz Tri. HOOYAH MJ!! Dream Big and Stay Fired UP!!

UPDATE: Michellie came in 6th in the Elite Women Division -- Congratulations!!

CHARLIE MIKE -- ALDEN


Welcome to the 2009 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon!

For one weekend each summer, 2,000 of the world's best triathletes assemble in San Francisco for one of the most infamous and extreme sporting events…the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. In its 29 years as a maximum-security prison, no one ever escaped alive from the menacing shores of Alcatraz. Every year, this popular event draws over 20,000 spectators to see who can accomplish that daunting task.

On Sunday, June 14, the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon will be packed with heart-pounding action featuring a 1.5 mile swim through frigid waters from Alcatraz Island to shore, a grueling 18-mile bike race, and a demanding 8-mile run through the rugged trails of Golden Gate Recreation Area. Set against the natural beauty of San Francisco, this thrilling triathlon is a virtual postcard of the City by the Bay.

Be sure to stop by the Annual 2-day Fitness Festival & Expo on the Marina Green, Saturday June 13th and Sunday June 14th, which is held in conjunction with the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. This festival offers spectators a wide array of health and fitness products to browse and sample.

NB: This information is from the Escape to Alcatraz website.

1 comment:

20 Meterville said...

Best to you on Sunday. Horsepeople don't say break a ...)

Carole