Monday, June 8, 2009

The Road "Back" From Back Surgery


Guest blogger: Dr. Scott Calzaretta

A few weeks ago Thesaurus asked: Like to know what is best for me to start out with -- the prefect pushup or pullup to get back in shape? I'm 51 5'10" and 170 lbs. I have just had L4 and L5 fusion to the lower lumbar and have 7 screws and A style plate and this was done thru the abdomen, not the back and I was walking the next day. This was done March 23 2009 and I have not worked out at all and I'm turning into jello. What do you think or how can I get back into shape? I am no longer in pain and back to my old self now.

Thesaurus:
Glad to hear you are ready to return to action. When you ask me which is better, the perfect pushup or pull-up, my immediate answer is both.You need a full body program to restore proper movement patterns that have been altered since the injury and surgery. First and foremost, you should get professional assistance in rehabing your injury and then go on to the next step of fitness conditioning.

Your question in beyond the scope of a simple answer as to what to do, since at our facility, everything is personalized to your specific injury and muscular imbalances. I can tell you that everything from:

a) starting out with kneeling perfect pushups (keep your core straight and painfree)

b) assisted squatting with the perfect pullup (again, use excellent technique)

c) 45 degree Australian pullups (core tight)

can help you get moving in the right direction.

Yours in Health,


Dr. Scott H. Calzaretta, D.C., C.C.S.P., Q.M.E.
__________________________________________________
Dr. Calzaretta is the director and founder of the Chiro-Medical Group. He has been in practice since 1985, and has successfully pioneered the design and operation of a multi-disciplinary health care facility. He has traveled extensively both nationally and abroad treating professional and world class athletes.

Dr. Calzaretta was a founding board member of F.I.C.S (World Governing Body of Sports Chiropractic). His knowledge and experience in treating athletes was a key factor in his appointment as a team doctor in the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, Korea. He is a State Appointed Qualified Medical Evaluator and Certified Industrial Disability Examiner. Dr. Calzaretta has taken his experience in sports and rehabilitative medicine and has successfully integrated them into the comprehensive health care approach offered by the Chiro-Medical Group.

No comments: