Friday, July 24, 2009

TGIF: Around the world in Perfect Form



Guest blogger: Sean Glass, Dateline: Somewhere in the Aegean

In the last six months, my life got turned a bit upside down as my wife Kellee and I decided to move back to the United States and then spend six months traveling around the world. One of the things that has sustained me was an increased focus on physical fitness. Some of my early childhood memories are of playing soccer and basketball on teams coached by my father (being from South Africa, he knew a lot about soccer, but very little about basketball).

I played soccer from when I was very little -- with my dad as the coach we didn't lose for something like 4 straight years -- and continued through high-school and into college. Before I played at Yale, I spent a month training with Nottingham Forest, a professional football club in England. At the time, they were in the English Premier League and I trained with numerous players who had played in the 1998 world cup. It was an unbelievable experience. Not only did I get to train with such gifted players but I travelled to England by myself and looked after myself in a foreign country. I even learned to hold down a pint (or two)!

Think I'm beginning to see a pattern here! How to thrive and enjoy myself -- at home and abroad.

Sean Glass

Picture of the Perfect Pushup mobile on a Danish modern hotel room floor.

No comments: