Friday, July 10, 2009

TGIF: Summer Reading List Part III

Guest bloggers: Dr. Karin Anderson and Julie Erickson

Nonfiction: Secrets of a Former Fat Girl by Lisa Delaney. While I'm not in love with the title, this book really changed a lot for me. It made me realize that my relationship to food is not like that of other people, and that's okay. It's a whole new way to look at yourself, your body, fitness, nutrition. Everyone always says "you shouldn't diet, you should make a lifestyle change," and this book really showed me what that meant. And written by a smart, funny, normal person.
Fiction: Yann Martel's The Life of Pi. I can't say why, I just loved it. Fiction is much harder to pick from, because I read so much of it. I don't think I could even limit myself to one page, not to mention one title. For hilarious fun summer beach reading, pick up The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner by Jill Conner Browne. She is a Southern evil genius, and I am quoted on page 161.

Karin
Scar Tissue is the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis, lead singer for my favorite band of all time, The Red Hot Chili Peppers. It’s a harsh eye-opening look into the world of the drug addicted vocalist, struggling to deal with fame, success and the lifestyle and temptations that go with it. It made me love this incredible band even more.Running With Scissors is the early-life memoirs of Augusten Burroughs’ very untraditional adolescent life. It’s hilarious and disturbing but very entertaining. Read the book before even considering seeing the motion picture adaptation. He also has his adult memoirs in print, Dry, which details his struggle with alcoholism.

Julie

Next Friday: Summer reading suggestions from Rick Osbourne, Mark Friedman, Sean Glass and Marty Heilman. Teammates -- any recommendations you'd like to share? Post your comments here or mail them to getfit@perfectpushup.com.

2 comments:

Joe G. said...

I recommend that every member of Congress be FORCED to read Rick Osbourne's book entitled Operation Pull Your Own Weight.

Grass Oil said...

great list! i read and loved both "life of pi" and "running with scissors" (i also read burroughs' "dry" which is just as funny, insightful and brutally honest). "the glass castle" is another good story about a very unorthodox family. a great classic, "the great gatsby" is wonderful for summertime reading - you can consume it in a few hour if you have no distractions.