Sunday, May 24, 2009

"Fair Winds and Following Seas" Memorial Day 2009

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”
George Orwell

Guest blogger: CM SEAL blogger: Tim Grizzell

It is now that time of year again. Summer will be officially “kicked off” after this weekend and the season always seems like it is gone in the blink of an eye.

More importantly, Monday is Memorial Day – a day of remembrance and a day of emotion for this is the day we honor all of the men and women who have died while in military service. I served in the United States Navy SEAL teams for seven years and defended my country. I was proud and excited to protect the rights and freedom that we all enjoy here living in the best country on the planet, the United States of America. I am so patriotic that the hair on the back of my neck still stands up every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner. It gets me fired up! I consider myself lucky and fortunate though that I did not have to give the ultimate sacrifice – my life.

I am married to the most beautiful and wonderful woman in the world. I am fortunate to have a healthy “fire team” of two boys and girl who I get to raise. I live in a beautiful neighborhood. I have the opportunity to chase my dreams and live life to the fullest.

What is great about our country is that it does not matter what your background is or where you come from – you have opportunity. The world is at your fingertips. We have this great opportunity because of all the men and women who made that ultimate sacrifice.

So, this weekend we all need to take a moment and honor all the fallen sailors and soldiers and all those who have served. This is a time to be with friends and family. It is a time to be thankful. It is also a time to think about what is important in life! I can tell you right now that it has nothing to do with green paper.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!! Hoo Yah!!

Fair winds and following seas…

Tim

No comments: