Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rancich on Rugby


CM SEAL Team blogger: Tom Rancich

Navy SEALs are often compared to professional athletes -- and there's no tougher, better conditioned athlete than a rugby player. I played in high school and college and have even played a team of Brits on the deck of a Naval destroyer! I liken rugby to sprinting from wrestling match to wrestling match---for 90 minutes. I'd be playing now if not for the limitations of island living. The black eye above is courtesy of Guam Motleys vs Australian SAS---Guam Motleys 6, Australian SAS 0.

My favorite rugby quotes—
“Better to have lost at rugby than have ever played softball.”

“Mutt by nature, mangy by choice.”

“I am not a million dollar athlete that misses free throws, can’t score on an open goal or drops pass in the open field—I ruck!"

Yesterday's Athlete Ambassador blogger was Cal rugby coach Jack Clark -- his Bears faced down Army Friday night at Stanford University: EXTRA EXTRA: Bears Beat Army, 42-17, Setting Up Final vs. BYU Sat. at 7 p.m With Army for an opponent, what can I say but "Go Bears!" -- not to mention the fact that my first consulting firm was dubbed Wounded Bear Strategies.
_________________________________________________
Lt. Commander Thomas Rancich, US Navy SEAL (Ret.) is the co-founder of VRHabilis, a disabled veteran-owned small business that seeks to employ the highly trained and motivated veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars for work in construction and related fields. Rancich and co-founder Elliott Adler are pioneering the concept of using adaptive technology to bridge the gap between industrial and medical technology. Their company contributes proceeds to two worthy causes: a fund for the development of adaptive technology that will allow disabled veterans to pursue their desired career path and the EOD Wounded Warrior Fund.





Through his consulting firm, Off-Shore Consulting, Tom provides professional advice on leadership and team building, often as a motivational speaker, in addition to being an expert consultant to the entertainment industry.

Alden Mills and CHARLIE MIKE blogger Tom Rancich served together in the Teams.

3 comments:

Trudy said...

I see you are wearing protection, Mr. Rancich. Gotta keep those appendages safe.....you know I'm talking about your ears, right?

I can say I was the proud mother of a hooker!!!!

My daughter played in high school and LOVED every minute of it.

It's the only sport I know you can yell "Ruck" at the top of your lungs without someone taking offense.

Super miss those days!!!!

Joe G. said...

I watched rugby on T.V. once - just for the record. And I wasn't even afraid. Also, in closing, I am confident that Alden Mills can beat Tom Rancich in arm wrestling, easily.

Trudy said...

I wasn't afraid watching, but was a little nervous when the "nurse" who was to attend someone bleeding on the field had to decide whether to put down her cigarette or beer to take a look.

She put down the beer, you can at least stick the cig in your mouth while you blot the blood....which she did expertly.